How to Get a Sales Tax Permit in Arizona Quickly
This guide will show you how to get a sales tax permit (also called a Transaction Privilege Tax license) in Arizona quickly.
If you are getting sales tax permits in multiple states, you should take advantage of our free sales tax permit registration program.
Registration Fee: Arizona charges $12 per locationto process sales tax permit registrations. State and counties charge between $2 and $50 per location to register your business for local sales tax permits. You can register for a local permit on the same form.
Renewal Required?: Yes — the license is valid for one calendar year, and businesses must renew annually by January 1st. There is no state renewal fee, but local fees may apply. Read more here.
Turnaround Time: Approximately 48 business hours from the time the application is received.
Contact Information: If you need help registering for a sales tax permit, call the Arizona Department of Revenue at 1-800-352-4090. Press option 1 then option 9. Make sure they know you’re a business (not an individual). They will likely transfer you to the business department.
Do You Need a Sales Tax Permit in Arizona?: A business is considered to be “engaging in business in Arizona” if they:
- Have employees that are present in the state
- Own or lease real or personal property in Arizona
- Maintain an office or place of business in Arizona
- Deliver merchandise into Arizona on vehicles owned or leased by the taxpayer
- Have independent contractors or other non-employee representatives present in Arizona for the purpose of establishing and maintaining a market for the taxpayer
Read more about Arizona Nexus on the Arizona Department of Revenue website.
What’s Required to Register:
- Type of ownership
- Federal Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number
- Legal business name
- Business phone number
- Mailing address
- Email address
- Physical location of the business
- Bonding requirements (if you’re a construction contractor)
- Unemployment tax information (for certain situations)
- North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code required for all businesses. Look it up here.
- Identification of owner, partners, corporate officers, members/managing members or officials
- Date business started in Arizona
- Employee information
Special Tips for Arizona Sales Tax Permit Registration:
The following notes have been indicated for filling out the paper sales tax permit application:
If you don’t have a physical location in Arizona, select “Use Tax” for Section A question 2. Otherwise, select transaction privilege tax.
You can skip the withholding license section if you don’t have employees in Arizona.
Section D, Question 4 will ask you for your business code. You can look up your business code on the last page of
When you write the check to the Arizona Department of Revenue, include the FEIN or SSN as well as “JT-1” on the “for” line.